You Can’t Lose Weight With Diet & Exercise

1. mike says:

Great post.

I joined the gym approximately 6-7 weeks ago, and I go 5 days a week. I have no “formal” routine, but I make sure I’m there for at least 1hr each day. I mix in weights and cardio on various days.

I’ve ditched soda except for on Saturdays (cheat day). All I drink is water now. During the week, I stick to relatively healthier food. Plus, I always make sure I’ve eaten every 2-3 hours or so. This has kept me from eating large meals. My afternoon snack (3pmish) is sometimes a Hershey bar with almonds. Yes, I’m still eating chocolate — just not as much.

I’ve lost roughly 12lbs in this time going from 205lbs to about 193lbs.

By compromising with myself, I’ve lost half the weight I’ve wanted to lose by my wedding (7 months). I have another 10lbs or so to lose and then I’ll be happy.

2. Catherine says:

You are so very right.

I wish gyms, trainers, and consultants would be very upfront with people looking to lose weight and explain that like it or not, it’s a permanent lifestyle change. People forget that when you weight a lot then you used to, your body burns less calories naturally in a day then it once did, and therefore, you will need to eat less if you want to remain at that reduced wait.

The truth of it is, if you want to want to lose more than a few pounds and stay there, you will never, ever be able to eat the same way again – so your new diet better be one that you can happily maintain.

Research shows time and time again, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. While we need to be mindful of things like fat content and sodium for our general health, if we “budget” our calories correctly, there is no reason why a new weight maintenance diet (or even weight loss) diet can’t contain the odd big mac time and again. Make it easy on yourself!

3. Connie says:

so how did the comment / exercise experiement go??

4. Coryad says:

Excellent post, thank you. I think this is what I’ve been missing in all of my years of “dieting”. I can last a month or two but then go back to my old ways. I think I’ll plug in this philosophy and see how it goes.
    You’re quite an inspiration 🙂

Hey Connie — the pledge is tomorrow evening 🙂

I’m glad you guys liked the post.

6. Ryan says:

I’ve never been on a “diet” before. I just couldn’t stick to someone else’s “plan”. I like to follow ideas on how to lose weight. I’ll take something from one “diet” and take some idea from another. The best thing I learned was from a book called “You on a Diet”. Limiting your choices every day makes it much easier to lose weight. Having the same thing every day for breakfast, lunch or dinner may be boring but it takes one thing out of the “loop” that you have to think about. I’m not sure if it was in the same book but a family who decided to turn their meals around and have dinner the first meal of the day and their breakfast the last lost a substantial amount of weight between them.