Burning Calories on Wii Sports Resort

1. Greg says:

Something you might not have known, but I bet you can appreciate… the weight limit for those is like 315lbs.

You could not have played that last year, congratulations!

I know because it was definitely a sobering xmas present to get one and too overweight to use it, makes a good goal though.

2. Abby says:

FUN GAME!

3. Juncti says:

This past week I blogged about something similar. I started playing my 360 while doing some time on the stationary bike.

Started the week with Fallout 3, and that made the workouts seem to go quicker (the timer on the bike proves it’s only mental, same amount of time elapses). Then Saturday I switched to Prototype which was a lot more intense, and I noticed afterward I was drenched. The more intense game upped my average speed from 14mph to 17.5mph.

I know I’ll have to mix up my workouts, but for now, anytime I’m biking I’m gaming.

Think once I get below the weight limit for WiiFit, I might add that to my collection. Probably one of those DDR games too to keep things interesting.

4. bossymommy says:

I’m an avid worker outer, but Wii boxing kicks my butt! I box with my kids and we’re all huffing and puffing by the time we’re done. You’re right…all work and no play n all that.

5. will says:

Speaking of running, you still planning to do the Cooper River in March? Have you started your running yet?

6. Craig says:

Do you have the Wii Fit? Sunday they released Wii Fit Plus and it’s SO much fun. We got it Sat night, used it then and Sunday and I’m so sore…I combine it with walking and stuff but I enjoy it. Tomorrow a new “Biggest Loser” game comes out for the Wii also which looks good. I’m looking for alternatives for the treadmill. The new Wii Fit has a calorie counter burner on it.

BTW, I’ve been reading/lurking on your site for a few weeks and I love it. I love it that you are eating regular foods and losing weight. Can you point me to the spot where you show how much you exercise each day? I’m 29 years old and have been counting calories and eating good stuff still, but my weight isn’t coming off as fast as I’d like.

And, are you on Facebook?

I think you’re talking about Wii Fit, which is a different game. In any case, yeah, you’re right. I couldn’t play Wii Fit when I used to go to my in-laws.

I don’t have the Wii Fit, but I’ve played it. I liked it for a little while, but I didn’t like running inside as opposed to the treadmill or outside. I also didn’t like the balancing games, yoga positions, etc.

It just didn’t feel right, if you know what I mean.

I haven’t really broadcast exercise routine in quite a while — it’s a good idea for a future post. And, I am on Facebook — facebook.com/344pounds.

I do. I’m still walking/running on the gym, haven’t hit the ground running yet though so to speak.

I’ll start running outside in November.

Wii boxing is intense. Whatever game I do though, whether it’s table tennis or boxing, I go all out.

That sounds good, but how can you possibly concentrate? You must have some mad skills.

DDR is tough — I used to do it on the 360, but it was so hard jumping constantly weighing 300+ pounds. I have definitely thought about trying it again soon.

You bet it is!

13. bossymommy says:

You inspired me to box with my kids last night, T. Thanks for the reminder that sometimes 30 minutes with the kids is better than 30 minutes on the tread, ignoring them with my ear buds in. We had fun…and my seven year old kicked my trash!

14. Juncti says:

That’s the trick, I’m not even focusing on the bike. I get my legs in motion and start playing, the legs just keep going without thinking. All my attention shifts to the game and the workout flys by faster.

Got the idea because I’ve noticed over the years with my restless leg syndrome that if I’m watching tv or a movie, the RLS can hit hard, but I’ve never had it while playing a game. Think it’s because the mind can wander while just watching something, but the interactive nature of the game keeps your focus. Take the focus away, and you lose.

15. Craig says:

Thanks–added you on FB, err, became a fan I guess I should say!

Yeah I understand waht you mean about the Wii Fit…it’s fun to me, but in no way is it an intense workout. The treadmill is lots more for that. Never got into the yoga stuff…not that flexible!

The Biggest Loser game that came out today is pretty fun…I played with it for about two hours today instead of the treadmill to switch things up…think I’ll like it. Will probably use both tho.

You should def post what kinda routines you do…like intensity levels and stuff…even tho according to your news video you just kinda do what burns, lol. I’m still working up to jogging on the treadmill…it’s amazing how out of shape you get. It’s also amazing how you don’t realize how many calories you eat in a “normal” day until you diet…or until you start keeping track of them on some degree. I’m shocked at what I was consuming about two months ago this time compared to now!

16. uberman says:

Yes, Go Gamecocks! Beat Kentucky!

17. Jessica says:

wow. Congrats on your weight loss! I have lost 60 pounds over the years and have a bet with a friend to get fit. I have wii games and love them and I think they will definitely be part of my workouts on the days I’m discouraged or don’t feel like doing much!!

18. Charity says:

Have you tried Wii Active? The 30 day challenge can be brutal, especially on the higher, more intense settings. Best virtual workout I’ve gotten.