New Year’s Resolutions Start January 4th

1. Kyle Farmer says:

Well, my diet has been an absolute disaster, but I did 30 consecutive minutes on the elliptical for the first time while the family was napping on Christmas day! I was very excited and was able to follow-up with 30 minutes again on Saturday. Since I use a scale at the school where I teach, I don’t have any idea on weight gain. I am thinking that I probably need to buy a scale that will accomodate my weight so that I can keep up on my weight at home. I will certainly need to do that for summer vacation.

2. Penelope says:

I’ve probably gained a few pounds but I haven’t weighed myself so who knows… like you said, I am starting on the 4th “hardcore” again. That’s the start of 2010 in my eyes!

3. Joy Manning says:

I’m working on my list, too, Tyler. My holiday has been chock full of food and a few pounds of unwanted weight gain. (Lots of family and friends, too, though.) I look forward to seeing your resolutions and following your progress in 2010. You’ve been such a great inspiration in 2009!

4. suzanne says:

Definitely too a break over Christmas, but as of Boxing Day i’ve been totally back to normal 🙂

5. Cory says:

Total disaster on the diet here too… but I have been on the tready so maybe it won’t show much on the scale… one can hope, right?
    Looking forward to hanging with you in 2010!!

6. Julie says:

My diet was so clean until Christmas eve…it’s been a total disaster since. I’m not waiting though, until January 4 to get 100% back on track. It’s today for me. New Years is no big deal for us. We aren’t entertaining, and we’re not going anywhere, so I won’t have to worry about the food. The things that will make the long weekend hard for me are having hubby home for 4 days. I thrive on routine, and that all goes out the window when he’s home.

Thanks for your blog! You are such an inspiration!

7. Steve says:

Lots (and lots) of food, and lots of money and giftcards (which I used to get a Wii and some games, WooT!)

Looking forward to see what 2010 has in store for you, for me 2009 has been a nice prologue, but 2010 is the year I want to tear this sh*t up.

8. beej says:

Yeah, too much food and too little exercise. But I’m also back at work today, and that usually helps me keep on track.

9. Shelli says:

Whew -Tooooo much food. It’s been a long vacation. I can’t wait to get back on a routine. Time to hit it hard. During this past week I’ve felt like I’ve had a little secret because next year I’ll look so different. Hee! Hee!

10. Christmas rocked. Future mother-in-law got us a 46″ plasma tv; Mom got us a Bose sound system. They both say they didn’t collaborate. Tina and I are thrilled regardless. How were your holidays?

Weight-wise… ours weren’t the greatest, in that we did gain, but not terrible, in that we’re already back on track and the gain was MUCH smaller than in previous years. I just can’t fathom a Christmas where there isn’t SOME type of gain.

11. Paul says:

It hasn’t just been the holiday. This whole month has just completely derailed me. My New Year’s resolution will be to start anew again, with the diligence I began with.

12. Stephanie says:

130 lbs over the past year is a wonderful accomplishment. I hope you give yourself a few pats on the back now and again.

13. AndrewENZ says:

I’ve had weight too much food over the Christmas break but I’ve been running regularly so it’s not as bad as it could have been. I started hardcore again today!

You definitely need to buy a scale. You don’t want to become obsessive like I was at one point and weigh yourself 4 times a day, but you definitely need to be able to track your progress.

Congrats on the 30 minutes on the elliptical!

Agreed. I’m not starting on Friday. I plan on going out to eat with my wife and probably my sister-in-law on the 4th, then followed by the last “hoorah” of my vacation that weekend.

Thanks, Joy. I see your list of goals on your blog and couldn’t agree more.

I’m jealous, I haven’t yet to get back to normal. I did go to the gym for the first time in a few days tonight, so that felt pretty good.

You’ll definitely be hanging out with me more in 2010. I have only bigger and better plans! Get that diet in order before the 4th comes, Cory, so we can start back again!

I thought about today, but as I said in a previous comment that this weekend is my last “hoorah” for my holiday vacation. I plan on eating out a couple of times and I don’t want to restrict myself.

The 4th it is!

Congrats on the Wii! My wife got Wii Fit Plus, so I’ll definitely have to post a review on it a little bit later once I get a chance to play with it.

You’ll be at your goal weight by the end of 2010 — it’s up to you to decide how badly you want it.

Work is good. Routine is good! Thanks Beej for being a constant commenter in 09, I really appreciate the comments!

When does your routine start again? The 4th, as well?

That’s some mother-in-law you’ve got there. I would say I’d trade, but mine got me a sweet sound system for the computer and a graphics card. I cleaned up to say the least, I got things that I really needed.

I have yet to buy a scale, I’ll probably do that tomorrow — I’ll find out right before you guys how much weight I gained from Christmas. I’m guessing it’s at least 3-4 pounds.

This month wasn’t too bad, but starting on the 18th or so I started slipping — I had exercise, but too many fast meals. Fast meals are bad for living healthy.

Honestly, I don’t want to give myself a pat on the back. I think myself, as well as others, have done that a little too much. Until I reach my goal, I’ve accomplished nothing in my eyes. That’s how I need to look at it.

HARDCORE! That’s what I like to hear, Andrew. You’re a better man than I, but I’ll be back with you again on the 4th. Thanks for commenting so much lately, too!

27. Vinny says:

I started the road to my goal today. I need to lose 110 pounds by this time next year. I will do it, I just need a way to be held accountable.

This Christmas was nice. Great family, great friends = great fun. Oh and great gifts too :p I wish you and all your readers great success in 2010 Tyler. Hopefully I can post terrific results later this coming year.

28. Merry says:

One thing I’ve learned is not to get discouraged when I fall off the Healthy wagon. I’ve fallen off enough times, I’m used to getting back on again. Progress is slow, but I’m getting there!

29. I did pretty good this Christmas. After all these years in maintenance I still don’t take my 158 pound weight loss for granted and still do self moderate. Not to say there aren’t cookies and candy on occasion – just not everyday!

Congratulations on all you have accomplished – I’m so impressed!!

30. Brian says:

Hi Tyler,

Just found your blog today – how inspiring!

I survived the holidays pretty well – I gained 4 lbs, a lot of which is water retention and whatnot. On May 9, 2009, my starting weight was 410 and my current weight is actually your starting weight – 344! I’ve come a long way in 2009 and I’m looking forward to following you throughout 2010. I’ll be keeping up on your progress and I’ll let you know of mine as well.

Best of luck to you, and happy new year!

Yeah, if you fall off, just get back on. Simple as that.

Good luck on your goals! I have no doubt you’ll post some terrific results, just DO NOT QUIT!

Thanks, Diane. Nice to see you back here 🙂

Welcome to 344, Brian! You’re right, I’m sure a lot of it is water retention and should shed away as soon as you start moderating/exercising again. At least that’s my plan.

Happy New Year to you as well, definitely keep me updated on your progress!