5 Tips for Starting a Weight Loss Journey

1. praveena says:

Hey Tyler,

You’re so right on! After following your blog for some time, I started my own journey (you might have seen my comments before) on April 6th, and this Saturday I weighed in at 138.4 = 5.92 lbs lost! This is the first time I have consciously lost weight; and really, I owe it to your blog for constantly being motivating without the intimidation. I still have 13.4 lbs to go, and will take your cardio and weight lifting recommendations in to account. Being a doctor, I had no idea how difficult losing weight consciously was – its constant work whether its a pound or 100 pounds, like managing any other chronic medical condition. It definitely making me more empathetic towards my patients. Great blog!
    – p

2. Sean says:

*Get an accurate idea of where you are with your eating habits
    *measure your portions with measuring cups
    *Log ALL food choices (fitday.com is free and works great)
    *re-engineer your fav recipes
    * calculate your BMR and daily burn and figure out how many cals to deficit
    *make small improvements every day – take the stairs, park the car further away, walk to the bus stop to get the kids – etc
    *find team sports/competitions or try and beat personal bests
    *take pictures before and semi afters keeps you motivated
    * make mini goals and give rewards when reached (not a slice of cake btw)
    *make changes you can LIVE with not short term bursts of effort – remember the tortoise and the hare.

I agree 100%. When I had 100 pounds to lose, that number frightened and intimidated me. I made small goals. I told myself my goal was to lose 50 pounds. When I reached 50, I felt great and knew I could lose another 25. When I lost a total of 75 I said “I can TOTALLY lose another 25!” And I kept at it and lost 35 more pounds for a total loss of 110. Baby steps work!

4. Chris says:

Great job on the forum. Looks awesome.

5. Yeah, I’m at the bump in the road thing. But, I’m forging forward. A bad week for me, exercise and eating.

6. Joe says:

I agree with making small goals. You can start with a large goals like losing 100 pounds but it will look like a mountain if you don’t break down into smaller goals. For example what you want to accomplish this month, this week or for that matter what do you want to accomplish today!

I break my loss into 5 lb goals. It’s so much cooler to say I’ve been successful in 10 goals set before me than to say I’ve only accomplished one.

Definitely don’t let the bump in the road run you off course. It’s just that, a bump. Go over it, notice it maybe make a plan to go around if it shows up again.

And above all this journey has to be fun. It can be hard. It can be frustrating. I’ve cried more in the last 5 months than I have my entire adult life but dammit if it hasn’t been fun getting to know myself and what I’m capable of.

Oh and if you’re not on the forums yet, you’re missing out!

8. Nathan says:

Agree about the gym membership.
    I was around 98kg when I moved to Taipei and joined a gym in hopes of losing the weight – ended up buying a road bike and 1.5 years later I am down to 86kg – I am 184cm – about 6ft 1in

Cycling for weight loss –
    Nathan

9. Julia says:

My short term goals help me stay motivated as well. My long term goal is to lose 75 lbs. I’ve broken it down to 1st goal get out of the 200 lbs + range, 2nd goal get out of the Obese BMI range, my 3rd goal is 175 lbs. (I have about 5 lbs to go to reach it!). After that, I’ve set my goals at various different points, with the final one being getting out of the Over Weight BMI range.

There are bumps on the road, mostly of the family and social celebration kind- which we all participate in – just make them an occasion and then get back to your healthy routine.

Finding a way to cook tasty and healthy is one part that I really enjoy!

10. John says:

Great tips. #1 is so important. A lot of people set themselves up for failure before they even start by setting unrealistic goals. Early wins fuel future success. Start small, then go huge later.