Typical Stages of a Failed Diet

1. Leslie Limon says:

Tyler, this post couldn’t have come at a better time! I’ve been on my weight loss journey for two months now and have felt pretty good about it. But last week, was an emotional all-time low for me. I was ready to quit. Then I started thinking about all the times I’ve failed at dieting before. I didn’t want to go through feeling like a failure again. So I’m still in the game! 🙂

Thank you so much for always being an inspiration! 🙂

2. I just wrote about this myself, not as deep as what you wrote, but man…it hits home in a huge way. I’ve been at a standstill over the last month and can’t seem to get ahead. I’m not giving up, and I think I’ve decided to start lifting weights now instead of waiting. I’ve got to do something to get my metabolism going again.

3. Alan says:

Very timely post! My Memorial Day weekend had way too much eating out. And I know I’m not the only one. Let’s all turn the page. Tuesday is a new day!

4. Star says:

THANK YOU for this post! After losing 25 lbs since April, what did I do today? I hate dinner at cracker barrel with family UGH cracker barrel. On the drive home I felt soooo mad at myself, and have felt like a failure.

And like you, in the past, this would have been the death knell of my diet all together. But not this time!! No. I’m back on track now, as I type. That meal is gone and over with.

5. Elise says:

I agree with the others. This post was very timely. It’s also a reminder of another post you made about slacking off on your diet (read: lifestyle change). Personally, I haven’t yet fully committed to changing my food habits because I’m afraid of the failure you feel when you’ve deprived your body of all of the things it loves (or thinks it loves). I just stick to cutting back on my foods. I want to start slow. So, while I’m dedicating myself to working out everyday at the gym, I haven’t dedicated myself to completely changing my eating habits.

This holiday didn’t make things better. I did get soft and eat a lot more than I should have. However, because my body doesn’t feel defeated, I can go back to my regularly scheduled programming of cutting back without much hassle. I have to discipline myself more before I can commit to changing my diet.

Thanks so much for posting this!

6. ElExGordo says:

Count me as another reader convinced that the article was written specifically for him. Thanks for the timely words of encouragement. It’s been a rough weekend, and I’m excited to get back on track tomorrow.

7. sara says:

Wow, so true. I am not falling off the wagon again. I am still in the race.

🙂 Sara

8. Helen says:

yup. Just….yup.

Boy did I need this post today…..thank you so much.

9. Trinity says:

Holidays are always such a challenge. The natural inclination is to eat, drink, and be merry.

10. bossymommy says:

Love this, T. How in the world are you so wise?

11. Vinny says:

Great post. I was not too bad this weekend but I did eat some crappy food. I found time to head to the gym though, just to keep my mind in the games.

12. Gingy says:

I managed not to fall off of my plan even once this weekend. There were two days of barbecues and I logged every calorie into my tracker (it’s on my iPhone so it was with me at all times). Yay me!

13. SC Mom says:

I included the weekend “binges” on my new lifestyle plan. I used to weigh every Monday morning – after a weekend of food debauchery! I was never very happy with the results, so I decided to weigh on Friday mornings instead; semantics, psychological, whatever, but it had a positive effect. After a week of low fat foods and exercise, I noticed a more “user friendly” weight result on Friday mornings. I knew that I’d have a bigger meal (usually pizza) on Friday night, but that was OK – I didn’t beat myself up. I did notice that, even though I had forgiven myself for “fat weekends”, I was eating less pizza and more salad, less steak and more fish, and no desserts. I have lost 12 pounds since November; I hope to lose another 5 pounds. It’s slow, but I don’t look at my “fat weekends” as failures any more. I’m eating what I want, an I’m losing weight! How cool is that?

*hands Tank a towel*

You got this.

15. Carla says:

Great post! Thank you. I also take the opportunity to go work out on holiday weekends because I know it won’t be as busy and I can get in and get out really fast!

16. Jill says:

This was the first holiday weekend where I actually stuck with my diet and even worked out on Saturday against my wishes. Usually I am the poster child for what you wrote above, but my commitment has finally overruled the fun of eating fun food. If I can (finally) get to this point, anyone reading this blog can.

17. Rebekah says:

Great job on this post, everyone is saying the same stuff. This is what people need to hear. You’ve said it before – today is a new day and forget about what you ate yesterday or the fact that you didn’t workout. Try again today! That’s what it’s all about. Making it a life change, not just a diet.

18. Sean says:

Guilty – I was crushing pulled pork and coleslaw oh and some turtle pie. Also been feeling really sluggish the last week. I also cut my workout short on Monday. Ok – deep breath – soon as the sun goes down headed off for a 5k. Thanks for the post tyler.

Oh my god, we’ve all been there! The secret: KEEP EXERCISING. Even if you fall off the “wagon” once in awhile, a steady exercise routine will prevent too much damage to the waistline. 😉

20. Joann says:

Yes, I’m guilty, too. I fell off the exercise wagon for 3 days straight, but only fell off the food wagon for one meal. Today I am back on track.

Hey, what are holidays for, if not to “take the day off” in every way!

21. Cory says:

True, true, too true!! I didn’t eat alot this weekend, just bad stuff. And beer! OMG LOL! Well I am back on track today so that is a great sign… I usually give up.

22. Tyler,
    Such a sweet post! “You went to the gym 5 times the last 3 days,” So funny.
    That was the story of my life, but I’m willing to change that pattern.

Thanks…AGAIN!

23. Erin says:

Thanks for this today – I got some baaaad sunburn on Saturday, and seriously couldn’t move for a couple of days. Here it is, Tuesday, and I haven’t done my workout in 3 days. Sure, the sunburn still pulls and stings a bit, but not as bad as I’ve been making it out to be. And all my diet buddies that I text/talk to seem to be falling off the wagon, so the accountability factor is starting to go away.

But as I promised myself, I’m not giving this one up. I’m gonna kick my own fat ass.

24. Liz Tee says:

So true! I’ve been doing this cycle for 30 years, with the added bonus of adding another 5-10 lbs every time I cycle. Sometime I can keep it going for a whole year before something happens to throw me off. Now that I’m 50, I’ve finally learned (I hope) to make small, permanent changes over time instead of huge sweeping declarations of change. We’ll see how it goes this time. Sigh.