Be Influential

1. Aaron says:

Well said…another “I” word is inspire. Influence and Inspire. Since I’ve started my weight loss journey I’ve had quite a few people tell me they’ve gotten “motivated” after seeing what I’m doing. And think about the chain reaction something like that can have. One influences and inspires others, who in turn get going on their dreams and goals, which inspires/influences other friends etc.

2. kellied says:

Tonight my husband actually started eating the way I have been. Smaller portions, cutting things into small bites so it feels like you have more………….you know the drill. This pleases me no end because no amount of gentle suggestion (or nagging) would get him to do the same.

3. Alan says:

Tyler, you’re right on the money here. Leading by example is probably the best way, with a strategic nudge when people need it spelled out for them.

4. MizFit says:

yesyesYES!!

to touch even one person’s life and have made it a bit easier is truly to have lived….

5. Joann says:

I agree. Just quietly do your thing and be consistent. Your suceess will inspire one person. And then another. And another.

Actions motivate people, it’s as simple as that. It’s contagious, it’ll spread throughout workplaces, homes, and communities.

Then again, so will laziness and settling for average.

Good for you! It should make you pleased, that’s wonderful.

Sharing and helping others has its rewards, much more so than helping ourselves. I’m starting to see that more as I get older. It’s starting to become less of “me, me, me” and more, “What can I do to make someone’s life better?”

Exactly. No need to preach, just do it quietly, alone, and let everyone else watch and observe. Others will follow.

10. Katie55 says:

Yep, I didn’t tell anyone except my family what I was doing. I just recently was asked by two different friends how I got the weight off. I was able to point them in the right direction. I am now accountability partners with one friend.

I often tell people that the inspiration I give to others is what propels me forward in this journey. Some days when I don’t feel like breaking a sweat I think about what message that gives other people in my life and before I can sit my ass down on the couch and forget about going to the gym, I’m up and out the door.

My friends and family may call me an inspiration but in all honesty, they only getting the inspiration they gave me first.

Very very true! And it’s funny because I never thought I’d inspire other people to get healthy when I set out to lose my weight. But I have family members and friends come up to me and tell me that I inspired them to join a gym, or start swimming (which is how I lost my weight). it feels good to hear from people in my life that I helped them.

13. Drew says:

Tyler this post hits right at home. I became bound and determined after finding you site online to lose weight. I talked about it, read about it, anything and everything I could. After getting myself all jazzed up I got my fiance pumped and we are going through this journey together. We both joined the forum and now get even more encouragement from other people across the country. I have even heard rumblings at work about how I am motivating them. So congrats on that.

14. sarah says:

I agree, its great to influence others… just by doing what we are doing to help ourselves. When I first started my journey I managed to influence my other half to also get healthy, he lost 50+lbs but since last summer he has gotten off track and it doesnt seem to matter how well I do he just isnt motivated/influenced to get healthy anymore. I truly believe that they really need to ‘want’ it… and then they can be influenced by someone elses success… I am hoping that one day soon he will get back on track with me :o)

15. Denise says:

Well,as a teacher and a health educator, my mission is to preach the Gospel of Good Health and to help others get on the right path to better health. It’s a tough job because many just don’t want to give up their sedentary, nutritiously deficient lifestyle. I want to help them see that there is a better way. A way that will make them healthier, hence happier! I reach many people each year. . .some listen. Some will remember later. . .

That’s how it works. It’s exactly what I’m talking about.

It’s a cycle. You sit around and do nothing, others will want to do the same. You keep watching what you eat and going to the gym, they’ll be curious and be interested in your lifestyle.

You rock, Tara.

It does. It’s not why we do it, but it’s certainly rewarding when we hear how we changed someone’s life for the better.

That’s SO awesome to hear! I’m really glad you found the site, and hope you keep it up. I’m telling you, I don’t know your history with weight/weight loss, but if you do stay with it, you’ll lose weight.

Have him e-mail me. I’ll get him motivated 🙂

21. ZAD says:

You are inspiring. Simply the fact of wanting to be more of an influence to those around you shows where you heart lies. The best you can do for people is to help yourself first and allow them to change at their own pace. More power to you!