Tip: Start Exercising Five Minutes a Day

1. Crystal says:

Best advice ever. I know of so many people who do exactly what you mentioned – trying to go as hard as they can at the beginning and then becoming frustrated or burning out. Ease into it. Granted, I’m in the beginning stages of weight loss right now – I’ve lost 34 of the 150 or so I need to lose. I had to start out at such a frustratingly slow pace for such a short period of time that I wondered if it was even worth it. But, I’m getting better and now I can do an hour on the treadmill and burn about 700 calories doing it. It all starts somewhere!

2. MizFit says:

YESYES: )
    thats what I did.
    thats what I used to do with my clients.

babysteps to success.

3. jollyreaper says:

Depending on how out of shape you are, you might not even need the gym at first, you won’t be ready for it. Take the five minutes to walk outside. If you keep up a brisk pace, you will be winded. If a 30 minute walk around the block winds you, you’re probably not quite ready for gym time. You’ll feel like you’re wasting your money which is yet another disincentive.

What you’re saying here is so true. I’ve seen a lot of people come into the classes who are just massive and it’s entirely too much for them. As for myself, I got gym-ready by doing my walks around the block. I started doing personal training and cardio on the machines for like a month before I hit the classes, spin and cross-training. When I started just jogging for 30 seconds would leave me gasping. Our current route is about 12 minutes around the gym and at a fairly good clip. My stamina has improved so much it’s not even funny. My lungs are on fire at the end but I’m making it without stopping.

The other bit, shake up your exercise, especially the cardio. You’ll get really used to one machine and the set of muscles it works so you need to do something different to shock the body again. Swimming is a really good change of pace. Biking seems to work your muscles differently from the elliptical or the treadmill.

4. Longhorn 44 says:

If you are not a gym person…..I personally am not. There are other options as well. For the past 9 months I have WALKED….yes WALKED my way to losing 104 pounds.

I started out walking around the block then built up to around the neighborhood and now am walking 4 miles every morning. A brisk walk for an hour burns a HECK of a lot of calories.

Those first few walks my shins felt as though they were going to explode. Now if I miss a day (have missed 6 in the last 9 months) I feel bad. I am addicted to my morning walk. It really preps me for the rest of the day….Gives me tons of time to plan my day.

5. Bubba says:

Today is my first day and I will take what you say to heart. I have been a couch potato for far too long and need to get moving even if it is for 5 minutes.

6. Linda says:

Excellent advice! I totally agree. Just like any other thing, I like to “ease into” it without putting my body in shock. It might not know what to do if I start with running 3 miles the first day. Thank you, Tyler!

7. oceanchica says:

This is true for those just starting with exercise and even those who aren’t, but try to make excuses not to work out (like I sometimes do). If I make a deal with myself that I’ll do just 5 or 10 minutes, 9 times out of 10 by the end of that time I’m feeling good and will keep going. If, for some reason, I still feel crap I’ll stop. But at least I did something.

8. Laura says:

Well said! And very true!

I had a bit more muscle when I started to lose weight, even though I had 158 pounds to lose and was able to do a half hour of fast walking pretty easily. But it totally depends on a persons fitness level, and I’ve known so many people who force themselves to do more than they should and then never go back.

9. Nicole says:

great suggestion and good point about becoming frustrated paying for a gym you are not using!

Amen to this post Tyler. My first time on the elliptical I lasted 10 minutes and then had to go home and take a nap. My first time running I ran half a block then almost threw up in someone’s drive way. My first time I used weights they were single digits (5 pounds)…

I am no longer that person because I kept going back everyday. I moved every day

Baby steps indeed.

Congrats on being able to do a full hour now! It can be frustratingly slow as you said, but it builds up.

Very well said, as always.

You’re right, not only may a gym not be needed at first due to the ability to do cardio outside of it, but gyms are always intimidating to people who join for the first time. It’d be good to improve stamina, strength, and confidence outside of one first.

Love you contributions, jollyreaper.

My shins were on fire yesterday and still hurt a little today. You’re right, those first few walks are the hardest.

Exactly. A little bit, even 5 to 10 minutes, are a lot better than doing nothing at all, whether you’re new or not to working out.

16. Such a true statement. When I really don’t feel like running I compromise with myself and say I only have to go for 10 minutes. By that time, my mood has changed and I’m enjoying it. It just takes a small push to get the ball rolling.

And that’s why you’re able to do those massive deadlifts I saw on your blog. You’re lookin’ good, girl.

Yeah, that’s what hopefully this post will help some people avoid. So many get gunho and try to spend 2 hours in the gym and end up spending 10 minutes, thinking they failed.

It’s not failing, it’s just a lack of stamina. It takes time.

19. peggy says:

you’re right baby steps….and before you know it you can do the cardio or any activity longer…..will look forward to you tip next wk…

20. Stephanie says:

That is the best tip I’ve heard in ages as it’s so true.

21. fatbride says:

this was awesome Tyler, and just what I needed today as I am sitting here playing the “ew, do I go to the gym today when I know that I will be dying after a few minutes?”

22. Sundeep says:

Your tuesday tip came at right time, I almost gave up going to gym after work but today’s tip me made me go and ended up going for 40 minutes.

23. Jennifer says:

next time one of us is tempted to not exercise – read this: a French man in his 40s who is a quadruple amputee just swam across the English channel- now what is my excuse not to exercise?

24. Great tip! I re-started exercizing last month at 20 mins 6 days/week but now I aim for 30 mins 5-6 days/week… I did 50 mins on Monday tho 😛

Setting smaller goals is a better way to succeed. When I first started swimming I could only swim for maybe a minute before I had to rest. I’d swim to the end of the pool, stop and rest for a few minutes, then swim back. It takes time to build up stamina and endurance. Practice, practice, practice! I now swim 1.25 miles in 40 minutes without stopping.