All You Can Eat Buffet (in Moderation)

1. Steven says:

Funny the timing of your post. Tomorrow for dinner I will be with friends and we will visiting a casino that has an all you can eat buffet that they will want to visit. I was just coming up with some rules for myself, like yours. Mine include a big salad before food (but soup is a good idea also), on item from the dessert section, and I like your one plate rule for the main section. I think between salad, soup, and fruit I can do better then in the past. Thanks for a great (and timely) topic!

2. Cathy says:

I think it is fine, but I find that most buffets I have been to are just not worth it, because the quality of food is not up to par.

3. MikeW says:

I agree with Cathy. In the past, I would not hesitate to “get my money’s worth” on any buffet I happened to visit–BBQ, Chinese, whatever. I too love some Chinese food. However, in the interest of moderation, I would now rather try to work in a dinner at a really good place instead of a buffet of so-so offerings. I am not familiar with Ya Food as Two Notch is the other side of town for me–the Chinese buffets in Chapin are not worth it.

Maybe the temptation to overindulge is still just too great for me. I have been to Doc’s BBQ with co-workers recently, but ordered the BBQ turkey wrap while they worked over the buffet. Since I still have 40+ pounds to go, it is probably best that I stay away from buffets for now.

Those are some good rules, Steven. Good luck at the buffet!

You’re absolutely right. The pictures I posted above are of the actual buffet I go to, and while it’s not the cheapest, it’s definitely quality. Most buffets are pretty sad, though.

With that much still to lose I’d recommend staying away from buffets, as well. And, if you do want to eat out one night, the best thing to do is to order takeout from Outback, Longhorn, etc. Sure, it’s not the same experience as going to the restaurant, but you won’t have unlimited bread/soda refills and you won’t be tempted to get dessert, appetizers, etc.

7. Cricky says:

I’ve had this mind frame the entire time I’ve dieted. “If I deny myself, I will most certainly binge.”

I eat fast food occasionally, I’ve been to the Chinese buffet and I like candy. I just do it like you stated above, moderately.

8. Cory says:

Everything in moderation. Of course, if we all did that, there would be no need for this blog 😉
    I’m not a big fan of buffets, but I DO love taco bell (yes, I know) so I make sure I only have it once a month. It’s my little “treat” and I’m happy with it.

9. Micky says:

“I think it’s fine to eat at an all you can eat Chinese buffet. Do you?” Yep! I do. Bill Phillips calls this a “free day” and urges us to take one once a week. There’s a very good physiological reason to do so, too. It signals our brain that it’s okay to release stored calories since if we cut back too much our bodies are put into “starvation mode” and our metabolisms dial back. I don’t know if anyone’s recommended his book, Tyler, but I think you’d really enjoy it. (Transformation) Check out his online community too. You’d inspired so many people there with your story. I’m MickyO on the site and doing a currently leading the Transformation Eowyn Challenge and our local DE/MD group. There are hundreds of great groups there. All the best to you. Great blogs — I always enjoy them but rarely comment. =) Micky

You can substitute “Chinese buffet” for any holiday party. It’s the same premise…eat only what you know you like. Don’t fill your plate. Eat in moderation and watch the liquid calories!

11. Colleen says:

I’ve got a plan for Thanksgiving and that’s to just eat what I TRULY want and I’ve limited the desserts I’m serving because desserts are my true weakness.

Also, I’m going lighter this week as a whole as preparation for Thursday and have scheduled an extra trip to the gym to help compensate as well. I’m about to prove to myself that I can still LOSE weight during Thanksgiving week. I just reached my first 10 pounds lost and I’m ready to rock the socks off the next 10 pounds to lose!

12. Jer says:

I think following any other diet is completely unrealistic. As long as the majority of what you eat is healthy, indulging is fine. Nobody can do medifast or Slim4Life or any of the other ridiculous fad diet plans for the rest of their lives. That’s not living and it’s not practical. There’s always going to be a birthday party or holiday dinner and there’s always going to be temptation.

I believe if somebody is going to be successful at weight loss, they have to learn self control and moderation. They have to know their limits. Me? I refuse to buy 100 calories packs because I know it will turn into a 600 calorie pack if I buy certain things (chocolate covered pretzels!) so if I want something sweet, I buy it individually and I am very conscious about the calorie count. The idea of consuming something more than 150 calories when it’s wasted calories like sweets makes me cringe. I never used to be like that- it’s a learned behavior and one that came with time.

I could have never lost 150 pounds by following a fad diet. I would have given up long ago, feeling not only deprived, but isolated when I couldn’t join my friends/family in celebration.

As I said, anything else is just not practical.

13. ChrisNColumbia says:

Dude, I’ve never heard of Ya Food. We usually go to Eastern Buffet in Lexington. Some of the best Sushi EVER!!! I actually prefer theirs over Tsunami, etc. Will give that one a try after the holidays.

14. The takeaway for me is to practice moderation in your moderation. As long as you “behave” most of the time, you can let down your guard once in a while. That said, I usually regret it when I go to any all-you-can-eat place–and the place I go to usually regrets it too!

Dan