How to Fight Weight Gain During Holidays

1. Jill says:

I have been in a slump for a few months now. The scale says I have gained 6 lbs. over the course of the last month or so. Losing anything at all would be great for me; if I lost 2 lbs. over the holidays, it would make me happy. Honestly, I just don’t know what to do when lots of exercise and calorie counting isn’t working. It is so very frustrating and tempting to say………… you know.

2. Emily says:

i have a goal for a walk/jog 5k on nov 20th. after that, i plan on doing the same as you, just living life normally. also as you mentioned not too long ago, planning is super important. for example, i’m going out of town for a week on vacation during christmas. but, i’ve already started looking into gyms nearby and maybe even a session or two with a personal trainer for the accountability factor.

the main goal is to go down down down the scale and keep up strength training and cardio. the holidays are important, and the food is extra-good, but not enough to derail the past months of hard work 🙂

3. Jennifer says:

my goal is to not gain weight but to gain (improve) a skill- as we planned a trip to the carribean in February ( a kind of Honeymoon 6.5 years after the fact and 10 years after meeting) I thought now would be the time to improve my swimming skills- so on a whim I signed up last night for swimming lessons – they start tonight!

I will be diligent in my holiday consumption. This will be the first year that I’m going into the holidays conscious and as a healthy person both physically and mentally. I’ll be sticking to my daily gym visits and remember that pie is good but not that good when it messes with me emotionally.

5. Kyle says:

More or less, the same as you Tyler, but I want to continue to maintain my weight when all is said and done. I’ll continue to workout as much as I can, but Thanksgiving weekend, Christmas, and possibly New Year’s eve will be “free” times for me.

I won’t count calories those days, but I will try my best to do things differently this year, such as pacing myself on Thanksgiving day/Christmas day, etc….the food isn’t going anywhere, and I don’t need to eat it all and feel sick in a matter of 30mins “just because.” I’m also really going to relax and make sure I’m eating mostly out of true hunger. I won’t lie though…I’m looking forward to treating myself to the copious amounts of bean dip, stuffing, and meatballs. 🙂 Like you said, it’s 5, 10, 20 meals out of 180 (more for me), but it’s a great point.

Again, all about balance, and personally there are some times I want to splurge as a part of this balance! 😉

6. Kristi says:

My plan is to live my life normally as well. I will not be counting points on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. But I will remember that being overfull feels gross and that isn’t how I want to spend the day.

My goal for the next two months is to NOT GAIN WEIGHT. I will be a-okay if I don’t lose, as long as I don’t gain.

My trick for not gaining weight during the holidays: my workout routine stays exactly the same. I still work out 5x a week. Nothing says I can’t get up early on Thanksgiving day and run a few miles!

I agree. Even if I eat a big meal, I’ll still burn some of it off.

I hate being stuffed these days. Before, I’d love it, it’d be like a trophy or reward for all my “hard work” (eating), but now it almost makes me sick if I stuff myself.

Yeah, I look forward to just splurging and picking off the buffet table at my in-law’s house… chips and dip, candies, etc. There are only a few days out of the year where I can do it and I plan on it.

How many calories are you eating every day? Those slumps will happen, but don’t let it push your further away from your goal. Just keep working, even if you don’t see immediate results. You have to trust the system.

Yeah, I don’t want a few holidays to derail a few months of work. It just doesn’t make sense to throw it all away for temporary joy at the dinner table. With that said, I’ll make choices enough so at the very least I don’t gain any weight, but hopefully end up losing a few.

Have fun! I owe my wife a “real” honeymoon.

You’re right. Pie isn’t worth our goals.

15. Tough to lose weight over this period. I’m going to just try not to gain the 5+

16. Jennifer says:

I wonder if anyone has thought about volunteering to work in their local Thanksgiving day parade? Although the walk is slow- it is over a few miles and usually involves carrying items or helping out in other ways- its a good way to burn some calories and be festive at the same time- Ive done a few in my day and they can be a lot of fun- that being saidI will brun my thanksgiving calories in clean-up duty in the kitchen- a group of us Americans in Belgium get together every year and doing dishes for 70 is a lot of work! 🙂

17. Dan Kirkman says:

I weighed in last weekend at 278. my goals for November is 10 pounds and my goal for the holidays is to be around the 255-260 range on January 1st that would put me 30 pounds to lose for my goal of 224 by June then i could start putting muscle on and still lose some pounds. all i know i want to finish this year with a hard push that keeps the scale going down not up.

18. Jill says:

I was eating around 1400. Because I burn off anywhere between 300-500 via exercise, my actual calorie consumption probably hovered around 1,000 or maybe less. Too low?

19. Jill says:

It is too low. I just checked. I should be eating 1,400 calories per day even after exercising. Well, I feel like a big dummy now. Now I have to get my body out of starvation mode! No wonder I have gained 6 lbs. in the last 3 weeks since I tried eating a little more!! I really hope I don’t end up in the looney bin after all of this.