Tip: Live Healthy to Set a Good Example

1. Mike says:

I have been reading for quite some time. Your story is a very large part of what finally motivated me to do something about my weight. You know what was the part that caught my attention more so than any other “diet” I had tried before? It was simple, it was not really a “diet”, and one could make this change and still occasionally enjoy an indulgence.

The trainers and dietitians that live and breathe fitness and nutrition may be horrified that one would even consider an occasional trip to a Chinese buffet or the Waffle House. However, many of us see that such a “treat” is not the end of the world.

I still enjoy a trip to Zesto’s with the family maybe once a week. I have fried chicken, fries, and I EVEN EAT THE CHICKEN SKIN! And, I have lost 50 pounds in 5 months. I plan for it, adjust, and enjoy. Sure, the die-hard trainers and dietitians may recoil at such a fat-laden, high calorie meal. However, one of the biggest the influences I have made on the people around me around me is that one does not have to “diet” to lose weight, and in doing so completely give up the things they enjoy. And with that, they are much more open to begin a lifestyle change.

2. Elizabeth says:

I’ve been reading your blog since January, and a good part of the reason I have found you inspiring is that you model a realistic change of eating habits and exercise, one which allows for the occasional indulgent meal. To me, there is nothing more glum and bleak than the thought of a dessert-less existence, and so many diets and exercise plans involve nothing but salads and baked chicken breasts, etc. Your way is actually do-able!!

3. Niyaz Pirani says:

Tyler: What I’m learning in my own weight loss journey is that it’s not about losing the weight quickly and keeping it off. It’s about taking it off slowly and changing your lifestyle to maintain that slow loss.

It’s okay to have a bite of something yummy or decadent once in a while; every Saturday I make a habit of eating whatever I want (6 days on, 1 day off per week).

I’ve learned it makes the free meals on Saturdays taste that much better because I’m not constantly eating the same crap on a daily basis.

And I’ve come to find that the old stuff just doesn’t taste as good, or messes with my body too much now.

Good for you for keeping it off for so long, and on your own terms. I’m doing something similar on my website, a healthy cooking and lifestyle blog. I knew I wasn’t going to go to the gym daily (props to you for doing so) so instead I’ve dedicated myself to healthy eating and continual low-impact exercise (walking nightly for 30 min.) and it’s been successful in the short time (three weeks) I’ve been doing this.

4. fatbride says:

Although I agree that you are an inspiration and a huge help for people to see that they can take the step into being healthier, we are have freewill and have to make decisions. Nobody out there should blame you and what you post for making others choose wrong, because that’s not realistic and I don’t think that at any point you said “follow exactly what I do to live better.” I think if anything, people need to see a real person who lives a real life full of cravings, obstacles and china buffet, because it makes it feel more attainable than other things out there. It’s personally been easier to incorporate being healthy into my life knowing that there’s something sweet at the end of the rainbow and not just day after day of a bland diet.

5. Micky says:

It’s truly what you do most of the time that counts. Keep doing it — because you are truly inspiring people. Glad to read that the bellyachin’ sort didn’t get to you. Micky

6. Alan says:

I like the bit about setting a good example. I had dinner with a good friend who has gained weight over the years. I’m the one eating healthy these days, but I regress in his presence. I should be modelling, rather than using his presence as an excuse to take a break from eating healthy.

The professionals really tell you what the text book says — ie, “don’t ever eat that.” The text book never talks about the practicality of staying on a diet and many trainers and folks who have never been more than 20 pounds overweight in their entire life don’t understand.

That’s what I preach — enjoy those dirty foods, but in moderation.

You’re right, overtime those same foods don’t taste the same. Sure, fried food hits the spot every once in a while, but it’s just not the same. I used to love McDonald’s, and the fries are good, don’t get me wrong, but nothing beats a big, thick juicy cheeseburger from a real sandwich shop.

I’m glad you noticed. As you said, I never tell people to do what I do (other than count calories, which I strongly believe in). This whole thing is a story, me talking to myself… you guys just seemed to show up and stay a while 🙂

Nothing gets to me anymore. It did, sure, but that was nearly two years ago. I’ve heard everything these days.

That’s the habit we get into. It’s true that overweight people hang around overweight people… huge fried appetizer, huge main course, plus dessert and 3 refills… sure, why not, my buddy is doing it so nobody is here to judge me!

Been there, done that. Peer pressure is so tough.

13. Genevieve says:

I love your philosophy. I’m actually appalled dieticians and trainers email you saying you shouldn’t tell people about how you managed to lose so much weight and successfully kept it off.
    I saw a dietician a year back and when I asked how I can replace food like chips (Should I eat baked chips instead or popcorn?), she said I just shouldn’t eat those foods. Didn’t see her again and I didn’t even try to lose weight because it made it seem impossible. Now I’m following many blogs you like yours which talk about eating healthy most of the time and indulging in moderation. It’s made me much more hopeful I can lose weight and keep it off in the long term.