Tip: Stop Being So Creative in the Kitchen

1. Niyaz says:

I’ve taken the opposite approach really. I spend time in the kitchen crafting my meals and spend 30 minutes a night walking. We’re the opposite. You’ve been so dedicated in the gym, whereas I can’t stand the gym and have tried multiple times to lose weight that way.

I try and cook enough at dinner to have leftovers for the next day’s lunch, and plan my meals that way. Though sometimes I do end up cooking for an hour and a half at night (or longer), but I look at it like you look at the gym. No hard work goes unrewarded, plus the food is killer! thefatdudediet.com

2. Micky says:

Hi Shawn! Two hours a day cooking sounds wonderful if you have another two to clean up. =) So I agree with your fast and easy strategy. Most of my meals come from one cookbook — and all are super fast and very healthy. At the risk of sounding a bit obsessed since my last comment to you was about this same author, the book is by Bill Phillips and it’s called Eating-for-Life. My only problem with it is that he uses a lot of ready-made stuff (pre-grilled frozen chicken for example). I try to stick to “one-ingredient” foods and make my own (so I try to do 1 day for sauces and stuff). But I tell ya what — every recipe in that book I have tried is amazing. My favorites are Sesame Beef Stirfry (30 minutes), BBQ Chicken Pita w/rosemary — we use LF cheddar instead of mozzarella (15 minutes) and the Apple Pie Shake (a protein shake meal) tastes exactly like apple pie. (5 minutes). Thanks for another great blog! Micky

3. Katie55 says:

I agree with you! I have also noticed that when there is more variety, I eat more. I try to cook dinners with an eye to using the leftovers for lunches. For instance, one of our favorite dinners is Mexican Chicken Breasts- just boneless, skinless breasts shaken with home-made Taco Seasoning (to decrease the sodium in the purchased packets) then baked. I serve them for dinner with spanish rice and a salad. The leftovers are wonderful on a salad or just warmed up as is.

4. Steve says:

Great tip! My finacee and I have been battling the “interesting food” monster for the past year or so. It’s not only calorie costly, but it’s also expensive (more often than not, we end up eating out) and makes it difficult to have a pre-planned menu (and budget).

5. Matt says:

Jennie-O Lean Turkey Burger or Publix Fresh Chicken Burger, one of these on a 80 cal whole wheat bun, with fat free single. Some Grapes and a large salad with Fat Free Italian Caesar dressing, it is a good meal with less than 350 cals, 9 grams of fat, and 34 grams of protein and takes less than ten minutes to get ready.

6. Chris says:

Totally Agree! I’ve been on weight watchers (lost 22 lbs so far – have to lose about 30 more.) I pretty much eat the same things during the week – same thing for breakfast, same thing for dinner, alternate about 3 ‘safe’ lunches. Makes it easy to stay on track.

Then on weekends I have a fun meal (or two) with friends – also try not to go crazy if I can help it…

7. Lori Lynn says:

I’m probably even worse, b/c I rely on Lean Cuisines! (I’ll add veggies to it, if the one I have doesn’t have much.) I’ll also cut up a lean pocket and mix it with a bowl of mixed vegetables (I love Wal-mart’s brand of snap peas mixed veggies or the broccoli mixed veggies). I’ll usually end up having some sort of fruit with it too. My lunches are usually peanut butter and banana sandwiches, fruit, yogurt, kashi crackers/pretzels, string cheese. I know I should go to the effort of cooking– all the blogs that show the foods that they’re eating look really good, but I guess I’m just too “lazy” to make the effort!

8. Dawn says:

I love chipotle but for me it’s not a good food choice. I may have it once every two months….not because it would mess with my goals so much but because it’s so addictive!

9. Steve says:

I try not to spend alot of time making dinner, but I do try to mix it up as often as I can. Dinner tonight, for example, I baked two chicken breasts for 20 minutes, microwave-steamed some frozen brocolli and made a pack of Knorr Chicken Flavored Rice. I then mixed them all together and BAM! nice meal in 20 minutes and not a whole lot of calories (especially if you dont use butter in the rice).

I usually try to have a meat and a vegetable, and either instant rice, instant mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, or something of the like. So long as you watch your serving size you okay to go. They can also usually be made in 20 or so minutes so long as you multitask 😉

Dinner is also the only meal I really put into effort in, and thats because I’m feeding myself and usually my roommate. Breakfast is just me, so it’s usually cereal and lunch is a lean cuisine meal or soup.

10. Sara says:

I think it’s really crucial to emphasize that you can diet and lose weight and live a healthy life EVEN if you hate to cook and aren’t a huge foodie. Tons of people never start because they look at the time investment in making all of your food from scratch, and they just get overwhelmed. If you have the time and energy to do that, awesome. If not, all is not lost.

11. Kim says:

Wraps are a great way to use leftovers. Buy the low carb or whole grain wraps. There are a million different things you can do with them. Another leftover trick is homemade pizza. I do this with pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough or crescent rolls…you can use many different things for the crust; top with spaghetti sauce and whatever you have around plus low fat cheese. Freeze the remaining sauce for the next time. I often pre cook a bunch of chicken breasts and freeze them just to have around. You can do the same with hamburger or whatever. This saves a lot of time and you can throw them into pasta , salads, …..
    Also, whenever you make a time consuming dish, make a bunch extra and freeze it. Then you can have it again without spending the time. I do this with spanish rice, shredded chicken, sauces, etc.

I was that way too…exact same food every day for every meal. For awhile it worked. I knew exactly how many calories I was eating and it helped me a lot. Now I’m more creative but usually on weekends when I have more time to try recipes!

13. Rachael says:

We often make ‘rice bowls’. Brown rice, Mexican flavored chicken, onions, bell peppers, and cheese. You can eat a huge bowl for not many calories.