Tip: Weigh Yourself Once Every 3-4 Weeks

1. Kyle says:

I weigh weekly. I think without the weekly reminder, I’d be more tempted to cheat more with the (false) idea that I could make it up later. As my changes continue to become more and more just part of my life and as I get closer to a healthy weight (I’m at 340 coming down from 378), I could see myself going longer betweeen weighing in. Having said all that, there are days when I’d really like to weigh myself and just don’t.

2. Cathy says:

For this one I absolutely disagree with the “experts”. I weigh myself everyday and intend to keep doing so. It is invaluable for accountability. Sure, the scale fluctuates, but if it goes up for several days, I know it is more than sushi.

3. Chrissie says:

I weigh myself about once every 2 weeks. I found it hard not to weigh myself if I kept the scale in the bathroom all the time so i put it up in my closet until the 2 weeks are up… works like a charm!

4. The Original Kyle says:

I weigh myself every Saturday morning. I’m not new to the scale and how it can lie to us day-to-day, but I’m still more concerned about the number I see than I should be. Since I’m still new to the maintenance portion of my journey, I feel a once a week weigh-in is good for me because it keeps me in check. I’m sure as time progresses I’ll change to a bi-weekly weigh-in and then to a monthly weigh-in. Baby steps man, baby steps. 😉

5. Right now, I’m trying to only weigh myself once a week. I can very easily become obsessed with the scale and I have enough to be obsessed with. I would love to be able to get on just once a month. Maybe over time.

6. Emily D says:

i probably weigh once a week or less.

since i am doing strength training, resistance training, cardio, nutrition, etc….all in one… it doesn’t show on the scale as much. however, the tape measure never lies. so i really don’t weigh that often, but i do like to measure and see it in my clothes. i can tell i’m getting leaner and it feels awesome.

7. bossymommy says:

Oh, you crazy little weight loss guru, you.

Love your guts.

8. Mark says:

I would refer to the Hawthorne Effect. If you can measure something it can and will get better if you focus on it. Obviously salt and water retention are a big part of the number on the scale, but they don’t just happen. Cheese stuffed crust pizzas, boxes of crackers, and fast food meals do have an effect both short term and long term scale readings.
    If I consume more calories than I burn several nights in a row my fat % will go up, not just my water retention. It’s a slippery slope and I hate surprises. Weight loss is basically science…right? Simple but not easy.

I weigh myself daily.

I never thought of it that way, but you’re right, I could see how you could be more tempted to cheat.

I’m with you! I still recommend that if you’re starting out, it’s best to not get fixated on the scale. It’s fine for us, though.

Oh, thanks for stopping by when you can 🙂

You’re right, I’m lifting a lot these days and the dramatic losses just don’t happen like they used to — but as a whole, the scale is still moving downward.

Maybe you should put it up somewhere not so accessible when you’re not using it, like Chrissie (above) does?

Baby steps, indeed!

15. KC says:

Lately I’ve been trying to weigh myself daily for the purpose of pinpointing foods that cause water retention. I’m bad at remembering to grab the scale and carry it to the bathroom so it ends up being hit or miss. But in my first go-around with weight loss I weighed once a week and that’s most comfortable (and easiest to remember) for me.

16. Charlie says:

I weigh myself just once a week, on Wednesday morning just after I wake up. I started on a Wednesday, and that’s where it came from. The rest of the week, I don’t take the scale out from below the sink. I like to get a weekly indicator of where I’m at, if I do good, it’s a motivator, If I do bad…it’s a motivator. One of the other reasons I weigh myself weekly? I get to post it on my Journey thread 🙂

17. Jill says:

Have you heard or read much about the relationship between stress/adrenal fatigue/cortisol and weight gain/inability to lose weight? I’ve been told that’s what is going on with me right now.

18. Dave says:

In my latest effort to lose the weight, I decided to weigh-in daily. I believe this will hold me accountable for my eating. I would believe the scale will tell me if I’m eating in control or not. I do realize that there can be and will be huge jumps in both directions, but as I track the numbers, the trend should be going down. If not, something is wrong.

19. chacha1 says:

I don’t own a scale. 🙂 I take measurements about once a month. Congrats on your continued success and better health!