5 Reasons to Buy a Gym Membership

1. fatbride says:

I am definitely with you on going to the gym. There is definitely a sense (or at least more so) of accomplishment when I am done with the gym vs when I workout at home. Also, I found that my initial intimidation of the “gym rats” waned into a bit of a competitive spirit. The more I watched what THEY could do, the more I wanted to be able to keep up. And you’re completely right about the camaraderie….I very very rarely speak to the people at the gym, but I always wonder “hey, where is benchpress guy” and so on when I don’t see them.
    Lastly, the classes are AWESOME. I never took a class at the gym before because I was so scared of looking like an idiot, but I quickly found out that most people don’t look like Beyonce when they’re dancing around (I usually take the Zumba classes) and everyone is quick to laugh at their own lack of coordination and have an all around good time. An hour FLIES by.

I use to work at home and it was so hard to separate playtime from work time… I’d get really distracted. That’s why I like going to the gym and getting away from the house. The gym is work.

The house is play.

3. Cathy says:

I workout with a personal trainer at the gym. I love him! He pushes me harder than I would ever push myself, I learn new moves, and I have motivation to do well for him (yeah, a little stupid, but if the results are good, who cares?).
    So worth the money.

4. Lori Lynn says:

I live in an apartment complex that actually has it’s own fitness room. It has the basics- elliptical, treadmill, stationary bike, free weights and a few weight machines. For being ‘free,’ it is relatively nice. I’ve still actually thought about joining a 24 Hr Fitness though, which is close to where I live, b/c it has a pool and the ability to take exercise classes. Just not sure I can justify joining one, when I have access to one that is free!

5. RunawayJim says:

I used to belong to a gym and then I quit and joined another gym. Then I quit that one. The problem is, the gym I left for the other one was really nice with great classes, good equipment and plenty of machines for everyone that used it. It also cost about $60/month. The gym I switched to was a Planet Fitness and cost $10/month. I never went to that one because it was very crowded and didn’t have the selection of equipment. Plus the silly “no lunks” thing was just lame. Sometimes when you’re lifting weights, you grunt, but that wasn’t allowed. They allowed almost anything and anyone and it was packed with people who were just plain rude and would hog everything all the time. We stopped going and canceled our membership.

The reason I have never joined a gym again is because I needed some really serious motivation to get myself out of the house and down to the gym. We bought an elliptical machine on sale at Sears (they had a 0 down 0% for 6 months deal, paid it off for the cost of 2 gym memberships in 6 months). It does the job and gives us the cardio we need as well as a decent leg workout. We both have bikes that we ride in the summer, and I walk to work in the summer. The combination of that with watching what we eat has helped quite a bit. While I would prefer to have access to weight machines, it’s just not worth the expense, knowing I won’t get my butt to the gym. I refuse to pay to belong to a chain gym that’s always packed, even though they’re less expensive. The first one we joined, while expensive, was really nice with an awesome staff, but it cost us $120/month.

6. Kim says:

I say do what works for you. I only like the classes at the gym. I hate working out on the machines in front of people. You can accomplish the same thing with some free weights and a treadmill or elliptical at home. Besides I prefer walking/jogging outside to working out inside. I do like the classes, though. The power pump class is the best. Anyone looking to tone their muscles should look into it. I saw results after only 3 classes. Also, I agree with what Jim said above. Some people have a hard time working up the motivation to go to the gym, while others have a hard time with the distractions of home. Depends on your personality. Figure out what you can commit to, and do it!

7. I tried the workout at home thing before and I could never stick with a program, that’s why I love going to the gym for my treadmill workouts and weights and the training center for Jiu-Jitsu.

Love the whole process of getting ready to go, driving there, working out, the drive back and how great I feel right after! Brilliant!

8. Rebekah says:

We have a tight budget but I seriously considered a gym membership (plus the cost of childcare…) a few months ago. I’m mostly a runner wannabe, so I didn’t really need any special equipment to exercise “at home” but I have trouble running in extreme temperatures and we don’t have any daylight anymore when my husband is home to watch the kids. But then I realized I’ve never be able to juggle my errands around naptimes and other commitments enough to be able to take advantage of the gym when their childcare was actually available. So my husband and I bought each other a cheap used treadmill off of Craigslist and we’ve BOTH been getting exercise since then. I can plop my kids on the floor while I run, or wait until naptime, or run after they go to bed. With all the inconveniences of trying to drag both kids to the gym with me, it would never happen. I love the idea of it though, maybe someday! 🙂

9. RunawayJim says:

I actually really liked one of the classes at the nice expensive gym I belonged to. It was a 20 minute abs class and worked really well. It strengthened my core and helped shrink my gut a bit (2 things I really need).

Because of the cost, we had to quit. My wife and I have some workout DVD’s at home to take care of the classes. Once it warms up, I’m going to do the Couch to 5K program, but do it all outdoors. In the meantime, I can’t wait to hit the slopes.

I love having a gym membership. I’m a swimmer so a pool is required anywhere I work out.

Having a gym membership has been a godsend…in September when I injured my IT Band running and had to stop running for 6+ weeks. I knew I’d go crazy not being able to run for months. I continued to swim and since I had a gym membership I started a weight lifting routine. It’s now something I love and it helped me in sooo many ways!

11. Fred says:

I used to be at my gym 6 days a week; usually right after work, and early on Saturdays, and Sundays. But then I bought a place, and those membership dues became on of the sacrifices, to afford the mortgage. Plus I had stopped going as much, since one of the fellow gym members became stalker-ish.

Once the January New Year Resolution Rush dies down, I seriously intend to get back to the gym. I miss the endorphin rush; and the cardio health.

12. Nathan says:

Curious – why don’t you speak to anyone at the gym?
    I landed a great job from a contact I made at the gym.
    I understand the my time aspect.

13. MikeW says:

I have a small home setup. A CrossBow and a set of BowFlex adjustable dumbbells in the “shed”, and an elliptical in the house. Also, on days when I can get out before dark, there is enough family property neighboring mine to get in a good 45 minute walk without having to get on the road and without seeing the same scenery more than twice. For me, home works best. I tried a gym before, but didn’t like the hassle of getting there and back. I know, a minor issue, but it was enough of an “excuse” to not go. I am more easily motivated to walk 150 feet to the shed to get in a workout, or to walk up the stairs to hop on the elliptical for a quick workout. Even if I were a member of a gym locally, I would likely spend more time driving there and back than I would doing my usual elliptical time.

I haven’t had a personal trainer, but I definitely understand that kind of connection. I see personal trainers every morning with their clients and they all look like they’re having fun, but being very serious at the same time about working out.

It looks like a good relationship.

When I rented an apartment I still joined a gym, just because my little apartment gym wasn’t very good. I don’t know if I would’ve joined the gym though if my apartment gym was as good as yours sounds.

I understand the whole “chain gym vs. local gym.” The gym I go to is actually a health club and is $60 a month (I think, I get in for free though luckily!), and it sounds like the first gym you visited. I’ve been apart of three cheap chain gyms so to speak and they’ve all been terrible places, then I joined Hampton Hill (health club) and it’s wonderful, with wonderful staff, not overcrowded, etc. I know exactly where you’re coming from. I don’t know if I could justify the $60/mo though if I had to pay for the membership.

With all that being said, there are nice chain gyms out there, I’ve been told about many. Just not in my area, apparently.

I’m actually more afraid to do those classes! I don’t mind working out in front of people, but those classes seem like a cult, same people, hardcore workouts, they already know the routine, etc. I am hesitant to try out a spin class because I don’t want to be overwhelmed or surprised by how hard it is.

That’s just me being a baby, though. I need to suck it up.

Same here. I like the process. I like the routine, the procedure, and it’s something I couldn’t stick to if I did it at home.

That’s exactly what I’d do if I had to workout at home — buy something cheap and used. New equipment is so expensive, and tons of people buy cardio machines around New Years and it’s already collecting dust 3 months later (unfortunately for them, but that makes it cheap for you!). Good for you!

I just have my music going 100% of the time I’m there. I will occasionally speak with someone, but not more than a sentence, usually just to ask if they need help spotting or if they’re using a machine, that sort of thing. I’m just not very sociable at the gym, and I’m on a time crunch to get in and get out as I go before work.

21. RunawayJim says:

The local gym I belonged to has since closed. It was more of a health club. If I had a free membership, I’d totally join any gym. I work for a college and they have a fairly nice gym, but they actually charge faculty and staff to use it now. It’s not overly expensive, but I prefer not to work out with the students who see me everyday.

I saw your comment below about personal trainers. If you’ve never used one before, I would recommend at least a couple of sessions. They’ll be able to evaluate you and your needs and customize a really good workout program for you to give you exactly what you need. When I belonged to that gym, I had a couple of sessions and without them, I would’ve been lost. He customized my workouts perfectly and told me how to continue with them and keep track of my progress (as far as how much weight I was lifting on each machine).

Good point of view. Just curious, how far is a local gym from you? I guess that would make a huge difference — luckily, I live in the city (not always that way) and have a couple of gyms close to me.

The endorphin rush is definitely real. And, sorry about that whole stalker thing — that’s one thing I never thought of when I was thinking of cons for not going to a gym! I actually suppose that might be not too entirely uncommon for a female especially, but I wouldn’t know as I’m not pretty enough to stalk.

My gym doesn’t have a pool, but I’d love if it did. I don’t think it has any room though to expand.

By the way, love your blog and read it regularly. I’m going to hit Starbucks today and will tree the drink you mentioned. And, you have some incredible before and after pictures. Beautiful!

25. MikeW says:

There is a county rec center less than five miles, but they only have a limited amount of equipment. There is real gym a few more miles down the road, but still not worth the time for me if all I want is 25-30 minutes on the elliptical. Same with my strength training nights. I try to keep the intensity level up, and my time to 35-45 minutes. I can head out to the shed some nights as the wife starts bath time for our little one, and be back in the house in time to let her sit on my lap for a bit watching “her shows” before bedtime.

For me, doing something before work is just not something I really see working for me. It is already hard enough for me to drag out of bed at 5:30, get myself ready, then get the little one ready before I leave for the office. Our morning schedule would require me to roll out of bed shortly after 4:00 so I would be back to get myself ready for work before getting the little one up at 6:00. That’s just not going to happen. LOL

26. Ryan says:

I just visited LA Fitness.
    I might sign up with there weekend special.
    $0 reg. fee and only $34.99 a month

27. Heather B says:

I had a gym membership a long time ago I was going 3 times a week… I then got really sick and just could never get myself to go back. I’m the kind of person that needs to keep going otherwise it’s hard for me to get back into it

I guess it’s time for me to start again