How to Lose Weight by Burning Calories

1. Laurinda says:

You are so right. Yo-yo exercising is just as bad as yo-yo dieting. At least, that’s my experience. There are times I think I’m going to start ‘training’ like I did in highschool (2 work outs per day) and it never sticks. I travel too much for work. So I move when I can (get up and walk to co-workers cube instead of email), stairs and gym 3-4 times per week.

I love your blog. It was what I was looking for. MyFitnessPal has helped track my calories and after a week, I’ve already lost a couple of pounds.

2. AugustusOctavius says:

This guy has lost over 200lbs just counting calories. Hardly steps in the gym just watches what he puts in his mouth lol. With all this technology out there how could you not take advantage of it. I was 345 and with the yoyo of the holidays and getting my focus back I’m down to 269 😀

If your on Loseit and want a new friend holler! Same name as above 😉

I definitely don’t recommend people getting no physical activity, but as far as pure weight loss goes, it starts and ends in the kitchen.

I know a lot of people who find the gym for the first time or lose a little bit of weight go crazy at the gym, spending 2+ hours a day there 6-7 days a week. It’s not sustainable and it’s a great way to burn yourself out. If you can do it, fine, and some people can, but for the novice just beginning it’s a bad idea.

5. Mel says:

You have great points here, Tyler, as usual. I think the key is change from what you were doing that was keeping you unhealthy is the key. Nutrition is important, as well as calories, moving, and I think the biggest pitfall is the “all or nothing” approach. So, you had a rough day. You ate three times what you should have, none of your choices were healthy, didn’t work out and you gained 10 lbs “over night.” Sigh. Take a deep breath, let it and and figure out why you went overboard. Correct your actions (without over correction and self-punishment) and keep moving. Just like hitting a reset button on an electronic device. That’s it.

6. Sookie says:

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the post. I have lost weight and did it by having healthy meals and running every morning to start the day. “And, always remember, you burn calories doing everything. Sleep, sitting, watching television, etc — just try to not to spend your entire day doing these three things and you’ll be fine.” I like that comment. I try to walk as much as possible. Now I know that even when am sleeping am burning calories, thanks to you.

7. Matt says:

I had lsot 96lbs before stepping foot in a gym – I broke down and joined once winter fully hit and walking/hiking/basketball became unrealistic.

So people starting out, don’t feel you have to join a gym to lose weight – just be more active. I walked, hiked, shot baskets, mowed the lawn, walked stairs, did yardwork, and did a routine of bodyweight exercises for strength training.

Eat your calorie goal for the weight loss, be more active for your health and energy levels.

Swimming burns a high amount of calories. And if someone is significantly overweight swimming is a good option because it won’t HURT. Not like running or walking. My 250+ pounds were weightless in the pool. 🙂

That’s it, be more active — don’t become a gym rat. If you want to spend an hour or whatever in the gym every day and it’s convenient, that’s great. I personally love the gym. If the gym isn’t for you though, it’s not necessary to lose weight, as you can attest to.

I still wish I had a private swimming pool. Even if the gym had a pool, I don’t know if I would be able to go shirtless with my loose skin.

That reset button works every single day of the year. Even more specifically, it works in the morning, after a big dinner full of calories or a week even of being lazy. Thanks for the input, as always Mel! 🙂

You do, no doubt. You burn calories doing everything.

13. Jelly says:

Actually, your rant is pretty inspiring for me… Because I am one of those perfectionists. I haven’t joined a gym so far because of nearly all the reasons you listed. The message of ‘get out there and do whatever’ would be useful in any situation, especially this one.

Thanks, Tyler!

14. Robert says:

Tyler, what particular “machines” did you stick with at the gym? I mean, just I know there are a lot of different machines and I wanted to know which are the best. I heard cardio is best over muscle, so do you lose the weight first and develop muscle later or will it go hand-in-hand? I’m a beginner-ish type of gym person and really want to lose as much weight as you did, if not more. I have the goal, the vision and a dream I want to work towards but I just need a clear, or clear enough, plan on how to get there and stay there. Any suggestions?