How to Make a Quick and Easy Manly Salad

1. Looks good Tyler. It’s probably pretty filling, too. The chicken should help fill you up because of the texture and the protein. Now, all I have to do is find a Tupperware dealer. 🙂

2. Jennifer says:

almost the best but a few tweeks- be a bit less liberal with the sauce, add a few nuts for crunch (I like pecans) and, when in season, add strawberries- especially if using a vinegar based dressing (lik e greek or balsamic) though it works well with poppyseed too the sweetness of the strawberries pops even more with the tanginess of the dressing- yummy (oh and lose the tomatoes- personal choice here)

3. Mike says:

Looks good. Salads are a staple of my diet these days, and I am always looking for ways to add more variety. I am with Jennifer though on the tomato thing.

The past few salads I have had I have used salsa instead of my usual salad dressing. I usually use a zero calorie balsamic vinaigrette dressing, with some extra balsamic vinegar. However, most salsa is in the range of 50 or so calories per cup. That adds up to a lot of flavor for just a few calories. I think I may give the chicken a try soon, but use the salsa instead of BBQ sauce–should make a complete low-cal meal for lunch.

4. Cory says:

I like salads alot, this is a great recipe, thanks!

5. Kyle says:

Good call on the feta cheese, Tyler. I love it too. The best part is, a little goes a long way. A great cheese alternative that I enjoy is the Laughing Cow light cheese wedges. Each wedge is only 35 calories, 1.5g fat (1g sat. fat), and 2g carbs. They are spreadable, and come in a different variety of flavors and types of cheese, such as Swiss, Blue, Mozzarella, etc. I’m still waiting for them to develop a feta flavor, though! My favorite is the light Swiss and I use it on salads, burgers, toast, etc.

6. Ryan says:

New reader, just read through your whole blog, just a quick tip I’ll use if I am making my salads at home.

Put the salad dressing in the container first. The veggies won’t get soggy.

7. Kris says:

Hmmmm…. add some purple cabbage and a bit of grated carrot, and I had this for lunch yesterday!

Regular salad is boring, but adding different veggies or meat helps.

Have you tried ground turkey seasoned with taco spices? Delicious!

8. Rebekah Pontow says:

Love this idea! I’m going to use honey mustard sauce instead of BBQ.

9. Maggie says:

I am that annoying hybrid-driving californian, so please feel free to ignore me, but my definition of a salad is a meal in which most of your calories are coming from vegetables. This means when I eat a salad, it does not fit in a tiny tupperware container, but takes a truly massive bowl. Vegetables (especially lettuce, which by the way, iceburg lettuce is not great in terms of nutrition, better to go with romaine or spinach or watercress) are frustratingly low in calories per volume. For people who like to live in the fast-lane and expect to finish eating a meal in under 10 minutes, you have to retrain your brain for eating salads. It takes me upwards of 20 minutes to finish a salad and get enough calories. But once you get used to the extra time, salads are awesome and super healthy. I usually add nuts and cheese and beans (kidney and chick peas) for a diversity of protein, and a small amount of fruit (strawberries or pear slices or dried cranberries) just to break the monotony of the massive amounts of greenery. Happy salad eating!